Last updated Sep 19, 2018
Is this the only policy governing my use of the library's services?
No. Cleveland County Library may have additional policies that govern other aspects of the services we offer. Please check the library's homepage to view these documents, or speak to a librarian.
Is Registration Necessary?
It is not necessary to register with the BiblioCommons Service in order to search the Cleveland County Library catalog. However, registration is required to use BiblioCommons for personalized services, such as managing your renewals and holds, contributing ratings and reviews, personalized recommendations, and communicating electronically with other users.
Who is Eligible to Register?
Registration for use of the BiblioCommons Service is open to all patrons of Cleveland County Library and other libraries affiliated with BiblioCommons (Cleveland County Library and other affiliated libraries are referred to herein as "Participating Libraries").
Can children use this service?
Children are welcome to register for the Service. However, we recommend that parents and guardians discuss internet privacy and safety with their children regularly. Please read the BiblioCommons Privacy Statement to find out more about the measures that have been put in place on the BiblioCommons Service to protect the privacy and security of children, and for information on protecting your child's privacy and safety online.
What is Shared Content?
You may use the BiblioCommons Service to create "Shared Content," which is any information, content or opinion that you post on the Service; it includes online conversations on the Service and selections you create using Lists or My Shelves. Shared Content may be useful for your own reference and can help other users find resources and information. Shared Content may include for example collections, ratings, reviews, video, or conversations with other users.
You may make portions of your Shared Content private, or you may leave it publicly available (as "Public Content") for the benefit of yourself and other users in your library and on the World Wide Web. To learn more about the controls BiblioCommons has put in place to protect your privacy, please refer to the BiblioCommons Privacy Statement, or visit your Privacy Settings.
Who owns Shared Content?
Registered Users retain any ownership rights they have in content that they post on the BiblioCommons Service. However as described below, other users of the service, Cleveland County Library and BiblioCommons are granted irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive licenses to use Shared Content as described below.
Can other users use my Shared Content?
The sharing of content is an important objective of the BiblioCommons Service. When you contribute Shared Content that can be viewed by others, you grant a license to other users to make use of that material under an Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike Creative Commons License. This is a license that grants others the non-commercial right to copy, distribute, display, perform the work or create derivative works on the condition that the original author is credited, and that any derivative distribution is licensed in the same way. Unless otherwise indicated, you have the right to use Shared Content contributed by others according to the same Creative Commons license.
What rights do Cleveland County Library and BiblioCommons have to use Shared Content?
By contributing content such as reviews and comments to the BiblioCommons Service, you are granting BiblioCommons and Cleveland County Library the right to use this content broadly. BiblioCommons may display Shared Content in the services that we sell to libraries or other third parties. Unless otherwise indicated, when you post Public Content, you grant, represent and warrant that you have the right to grant BiblioCommons and Cleveland County Library an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, worldwide license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt, perform, adapt, create derivative works from, and distribute such content with the name or username you have chosen to display.
If you do not want to give BiblioCommons and Cleveland County Library these rights, please do not contribute Shared Content on the BiblioCommons Service.
What are my responsibilities when I choose to post Shared Content?
What can I do if I see content that infringes on my intellectual property rights?
If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide BiblioCommons' copyright agent the written information specified below. Please note that this procedure is exclusively for notifying us that your copyrighted material has been infringed. BiblioCommons' copyright agent can be reached via email at email@example.com, or at the mailing address below. Please provide:
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed upon;
- A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the site;
- Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- A statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
119 Spadina Avenue, suite 1000
Toronto, ON M5V 2L1, Canada
tel. 647 436 6381
Is Shared Content ever removed from the BiblioCommons Service for other reasons?
Some users may not wish to view all community-created content. BiblioCommons users who are logged in have the option of blocking, "ignoring" or collapsing content from specified users on an individual basis. Ignoring a user can be reversed. The BiblioCommons Service also offers the ability to collapse community-created content that other users have flagged as containing content that they consider offensive or otherwise inappropriate.
BiblioCommons will allow all Users to collapse community-created content based on their individual viewing preferences. But an individual User's viewing preferences shall not affect the viewing preferences of other Users.
The BiblioCommons Service is not intended for the storage of valuable or irreplaceable data.
Appropriate Use Standards
All visitors to the BiblioCommons Service agree not to:
- access or attempt to access areas of the BiblioCommons Service in which they are not authorized;
- use or attempt to use another person's account without our authorization, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent yourself, your age or your affiliation with any person or entity;
- solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 18, use the BiblioCommons Service to arrange a meeting with anyone under the age of 18 or solicit passwords or personally identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes;
- disable, overburden, impair the proper performance or functionality of the BiblioCommons Service;
- use or access the BiblioCommons Service or related systems in a way that adversely affects the performance or function of the service;
- use any automated system to harvest or capture any BiblioCommons Content (as defined below) from the BiblioCommons Service, except as may be specifically permitted using RSS/XML feeds;
- co-brand the BiblioCommons Service or portion thereof ("co-branding" means to display a name, logo, trade-mark, or other means of attribution or identification of any party in a manner reasonably likely to give a user the impression that such other party has the right to display, publish, or distribute the BiblioCommons Service or BiblioCommons Content);
- "frame" the BiblioCommons Service or portion thereof so that the BiblioCommons Service or BiblioCommons Content appears in the same window with a portion of another website.
If you choose to register, you agree to:
- provide and maintain accurate, current and complete information;
- maintain the security of your password and username;
- not register for more than one account.
Appropriate Use When Posting Content
Remember that the Service is used by visitors with a broad range of ages and sensibilities. You agree not to use the Service to upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content that:
- violates the Appropriate Use Standards;
- is unrelated to the specific book, movie, music or other library material that is the subject of the post or displayed page;
- is unlawful, threatens or incites violence, physical intimidation or other unlawful action or otherwise creates a genuine risk of imminent harm or direct threat to safety;
- consists of or depicts obscene material as defined by applicable state, provincial or national law;
- constitutes unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme;
- constitutes unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, solicitations, promotional materials, junk mail, spam and/or chain letters for commercial or personal gain;
- is private information about or belonging to any third party, including, without limitation, home addresses, home phone numbers, personal email addresses, personal identification numbers and credit card numbers, the disclosure of which would constitute an invasion of privacy or otherwise be prohibited under applicable law;
- contains software viruses, worms, or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, gain illegal access, destroy or limit the functionality of any data, software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment;
- infringes upon or violates the rights of any individual or entity under applicable state, provincial or national law including without limitation, intellectual property rights;
- constitutes, encourages or provides instructions for a criminal offense or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law.
Warning About Content
You understand that by using the BiblioCommons Service, you may encounter content that may be considered indecent or otherwise objectionable. Consequently, you agree to use the BiblioCommons Service at your sole risk and you agree that neither BiblioCommons nor any Participating Library shall have any liability to you for any such content that may be found to be indecent or otherwise objectionable.
Neither BiblioCommons nor Cleveland County Library verify the accuracy, truthfulness or reliability of any information posted by users, endorse any opinions, or confirm the credentials of any users who may post information. You should always exercise caution and not rely or act upon any information available on the BiblioCommons Service, particularly information that relates to your legal rights, financial arrangements or health.
BiblioCommons may at any time use automated translation tools to make the BiblioCommons Service or portions of it available in languages other than English. Such tools have significant limitations and only the English version of any translated content is considered the definitive version.
How are feedback and suggestions managed?
BiblioCommons accepts feedback, questions, comments, ideas, concepts, or techniques for new services or products through the Service ("Suggestions"). When you submit Suggestions you agree that they will not be considered confidential, and that they may be stored with your name and email address in a database that may be located outside of your country. By submitting any Suggestions, you grant BiblioCommons an unrestricted, irrevocable, world-wide, royalty-free right to use, communicate, reproduce, publish, display, distribute and exploit such Suggestions in any manner, and you agree that we may contact you via email for clarification or additional feedback.
The services and content provided on BiblioCommons ("BiblioCommons Content") are comprised of 1) services and content provided by Participating Libraries, BiblioCommons and third-party providers ("Service Content"); and 2) Shared Content contributed by users. All BiblioCommons Content is protected by law, and its use is governed by the rights described below.
Can I display BiblioCommons Content on other websites?
The Service makes it possible for you to feature public BiblioCommons Content on external third party websites or applications. This is encouraged under the terms described here. Pages on any external third-party websites and applications that display BiblioCommons Content must provide a link from each extract to an original presentation of that material on a BiblioCommons webpage. We reserve the right, at any time and without notice, to object to or require the removal of any link that is misleading, or interrupts or interferes with the Service provided by BiblioCommons.
Are there any restrictions on my use of the Service Content in other environments?
BiblioCommons and Cleveland County Library grant our authorized users a limited, personal, non-transferable, revocable license to access and use the Service and Service Content for personal, non-commercial use. All other rights are reserved. Except as arranged by separate agreement, you may not copy, reproduce, republish, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use the Service Content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use; nor may you disassemble, decompile, or reverse engineer the Service. The Service Content is the intellectual property of Participating Libraries, BiblioCommons, or their affiliates or their licensors, and is protected by US and international copyright law. Some elements of the Service Content are also protected by trademark law and laws related to trade dress, trade secrets, and unfair competition.
Overdue Notification Service
Reminder notifications are not a replacement for keeping track of your borrowing. Neither BiblioCommons nor Cleveland County Library take responsibility for fees that result from missed reminders. You can check your account status by visiting My Borrowing.
Warning About Links to Other Sites
Limitation of Liability
Disclaimer of Warranties
Neither BiblioCommons nor Participating Libraries make any representations with respect to the BiblioCommons Service, including any representations related to results that may be obtained by using the BiblioCommons Service. All use of the Service is at the sole risk of the user.
Your First Amendment and Other Rights
Jurisdiction and Forum
Compliance with Law
You agree to use the BiblioCommons Service in strict compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. You shall take no actions which would cause BiblioCommons or Participating Libraries to be in violation of any laws, rulings or regulations applicable to BiblioCommons or Participating Libraries.
Without specific notice to you, BiblioCommons may change, supplement, delete or update any portion of the Service; or establish or change, at any time, general practices and limits concerning our products and services.
You agree that BiblioCommons, in its sole discretion, may terminate or suspend your use of the BiblioCommons Service and BiblioCommons Content at any time regardless of whether the BiblioCommons Service remains accessible by others. BiblioCommons may discontinue the BiblioCommons Service at any time without liability to you. Upon termination of the license, you shall cease all use of the BiblioCommons Service.